Linda G September 4, 2013 Hope For Today

Linda G September 4, 2013 Hope For Today

Once I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my foot. I had already been handicapped for 20 years. Needless to say, having a fractured foot posed many problems. Because it was severely painful and even dangerous for me to walk, I ended up stuck alone in my apartment during a severe thunderstorm and unable to go to meetings.
It wasn't surprising that I fell back into my old attitudes, mainly self-pity. I like to be coddled and pampered when I'm sick, and my friends and family members weren't "reading my mind" and meeting my expectations. I'm usually a very independent woman with good, creative problem-solving skills. However, when I'm mired in negative thinking, I become a different person.
As all things do, this too passed. My foot healed and I was able to get back to my meetings. When I did, I asked myself, "Do you take note when others are sick and offer them the same attention you crave?" My answer was no, and I promptly asked my Higher Power for an opportunity to practice "Let It Begin with Me."
Within weeks, two neighbors had surgery. I didn't wish for either of them to be ill, yet I was gladdened by the promptness God displayed in answering my request. Here was my chance! Funny thing is, by  nurturing my neighbors -- asking if they needed anything from the store and calling to check on them -- I felt as though I were nurturing myself. I guess what they say about Al-Anon is true. I often get back more than I give.
Thought for the Day
I've heard it said that to keep this program, I have to give it away. When I give it away, I'm also giving it to myself.
"Joy and peace of mind are among the rewards we seek when we decide to 'Let It Begin with Me.'"
From Survival to Recovery, p. 95

Re: Linda G September 4, 2013 Hope For Today

akshayv
I would love to buy walking shoes from orthofeet, but without trying them on, it's not worth trying. I love my slippers, this is my second pair. I have heel spurs and pain, also trouble with arches, it's hard to find shoes that fix all that. But orthofeet orthotic shoes, especially Vionic, do the trick. I will buy again. Picking my items was very easy/accessible. I liked the  rollover scan to get close up of my merchandise. I found sizes to be true and very comfortable.