Linda G June 8, 2013 Hope For Today

Even in my illness, I heard very clearly the suggestion at Al-Anon meetings to get a sponsor. As I began to experience the love and acceptance for which I had longed as a child, it gave me the courage to look for a sponsor. When I found her, she was just what my Higher Power ordered. Today she is my best friend. She works one of the best programs of anyone I know, and she helps me to work mine better, too.
My sponsor has always encouraged me to receive the blessings of service -- first at the group level and then at the local and area levels. In service I found a group of people who truly accept and include me. they encourage me to develop new talents and to put my existing one to work. It's hard to stay in my problems when surrounded by so many members striving to give back to the fellowship a portion of what they had received.
When I see people in Al-Anon service working the Steps, it encourages me to get busy and work them, too. When I see others take action in their lives, it inspires me to do the same. I've made amends to my parents, and now I'm working on having a better relationship with them. I've let go of some harmful associations and developed new ones with friends in the program. I've used the talents I discovered doing service to get a college degree, a better job, and a better place to live. I know commitment to this program works because today I'm living the results.
Thought for the Day
When I make a commitment through service, I really am making a commitment to myself.
"As I join in maintaining a program that has spread around the world, I get a sense of hope for my own life's possibilities."
When I Got Busy, I Got Better, p. 25